June 21, 2011

All by My Self

 
Last weekend, after my event in Dallas was complete, I found myself free for remainder of the evening. No more disillusioned that I will make friends or find a partner for company to enjoy the same pastimes as me, I resolved that I should not deprive myself of the entertainment and distractions I deserved after an ardorous week.

Being late in the evening, after 6pm, I ventured solo to dip my toes to test the water. Just 10 mins from home, I knew I could always take a cab back home if things go south. I took the Trimet to the cinema hall which I'd seen quite often passing by. Slightly shy, even a teeny bit embarrassed, Ii bought a single ticket and Q-ed up with rest of the crowd for refreshments. I was the first person to walk into the cinema hall, and just before the jelly-stomached panda Po launched himself on the screen, I had tots filling rows around me. We all laughed together, squealed with delight, and were joyous at Po's victory against the evil peacock. Journey home started just after sundown, which is 9.30 pm here, but I made home in good time for an unaccompanied supper at the cafe in the valley and playtime with Todd Turtle before he retired into his alcove for the night.

Since last two weekends the plan to visit the Oregon Zoo was being postponed on some whim, mood or inclination. So I took matters into my hand once again. After a heavy oat-meal breakfast, with snacks, water and a sturdy jacket (rain clouds were lurking), I set off to meet the delightful wildlife which had made Portland home over the last century. After 2 hours of bus, metro rail and shuttle rides, I reached the zoo gates slightly breathless (its not that far, but I lost way and ended up walking for 45 mins needlessly). Here again were hoards of squealing rug-rats, saying hello to the wilderness they'd most likely only witness in such captivity.

Here are some pics i shot with my phone, since carrying the camera was an additional burden.






They even had an Indian elephant family, just as the shuttle driver had mentioned during our chat. And an interesting indoor building connecting the history of Indian elephants with Gods (Ganesha), Maharajas (the battles they fought) and Mahawats.


The volunteer at the petting zoo, where I touched the wild turtle's shell, informed me that turtles have their vertebrae right under the shell, which is why they are squeamish on touch. Nothing to do with being ticklish, as I'd been led to believe. That 13-year kid knew more about turtles! *embarrassment*

On return journey, the same shuttle driver picked me, so we chatted for long as it was just both of us for most of the circuit. Being an Indian, its so easy to get into conversation with anyone; not because we talk English, but there is so much of diversity in India - sights, people, languages, weather. And each American I speak to knows a different piece about the country. Like this guy was surprised to learn that besides horses, I'd ridden a camel and elephant. Kept in large enclosures with moat all around, so let alone ride, you won't even come close enough to see a fly on his flapping ears. Makes me appreciate the fine piece of patchwork our frailly strong democracy is.

I am so refreshed by this outing, am set to make plans for next weekend with myself. I love the summer, and more so the connectivity in this city. Keep watching this space for my next adventure.

No comments: